Morley De Witt Jones
M, ID# 534, (1891-1961)
Morley De Witt Jones was born on 3 April 1891 in East Flamboro Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario.1 He was the son of Amos Randall Jones and Mary Ann Misener. He was baptized on 13 July 1891 in East Flamboro Twp, Ontario, by Reverend G Ferguson.2 An accident with a circular saw cost Morley the the tips of the little and ring fingers of his left hand in March 1909. It's not known where this occurred.3 He was a barber in Vernon, British Columbia, in 1915.3 He began military service on 14 August 1915 in Vernon, British Columbia, when he enlisted in the 62nd (Overseas) Battalion, of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He was promoted to Corporal in October 1915. Morley sailed from Halifax on 3 March 1916 aboard the SS Baltic. They arrived in England on 11 Apr 1916 where he was attached to the 3rd Canadian Pioneer Battalion. He landed in France on 29 Jul 1916. Morley was promoted to Sergeant on 26 Dec 1916. He was awarded a War Service Badge, Class "A", #175510. He returned to Canada on the SS Olympic on 25 Mar 1919.3 He ended military service on 1 May 1919 in Vancouver, British Columbia.3 He married Florence Viola Howey, daughter of Thomas Howey and Adelaide Mulholland, on 23 September 1919 in Methodist Parsonage, Mission City, British Columbia.4,5 Morley owned a farm, named Maple Leaf Farm, in the Surrey, British Columbia area in 1927. He began military service on 5 April 1943 in Vancouver, British Columbia.3 He ended military service on 16 October 1945.3 He lived at 1733 Beach Road, Ladner, British Columbia, at the time of his death.6 He died on 28 February 1961 in Shaughnessy Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, at age 69.7,6 He was buried on 3 March 1961 in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Burnaby, British Columbia.7,6
Last Edited=14 Apr 2011
Children of Morley De Witt Jones and Florence Viola Howey
- [S97] Birthday Book - belonged to Violet Jones, manuscript, c 1914, (individuals signed on their birthday page), privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S422] Ida Reed (transcriber), Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms, online http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wjmartin/…, transcription of LDS microfilms #1759292-1759295 housed at Victoria University Archives, Toronto, ON. Previously published in microfilm (Salt Lake City, UT: Family History Library).
- [S433] "Morley Jones Military Records", RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4950-53; Library & Archives Canada; Ottawa, Ontario.
- [S945] Morley Jones & Viola Howey, Wedding Invitation, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S589] Morley Jones & Viola Howey, Marriage Certificate 19-09-198854 (23 Sep 1919), BC Vital Statistics Agency, Victoria, British Columbia.
- [S590] Morley De Witt Jones, Death Registration 61-09-003178 (1961), BC Vital Statistics Agency, Victoria, British Columbia.
- [S167] Morley Jones (obituary), Unknown Newspaper, unknown location.
- [S669] Amos R Jones, 1891 Census (East Flamboro, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S678] Amos R Jones, 1901 Census (East Flamboro, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S166] Jones & Broder Families, notes of Violet Broder, c 1960, DOC 084 & 085, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S152] "Violet Broder's birthday list," (manuscript, c 1960; DOC 020); privately held by Faye West; Edmonton, Alberta.