F, ID# 548, (1801-1882)
- 3rd great-grandmother of Faye Louise Doyle
Hannah Goodale was born on 4 January 1801 at Glanford, Wentworth County, Ontario.1,2 She was the daughter of Johnson G Goodale and Elizabeth Persall.2 She has also been reported to have been born on 25 December 1800.3 She married James Jones, son of Andrew Jones and Anna Mary Slough, on 11 March 1817 at Ancaster Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario.4
James & Hannah (Goodale) Jones about 1855(?)
When James and Hannah retired from farming, they became keepers of a toll-gate between Troy and Lynden. When someone tried to sneak through without paying, they rang a bell to call them back. This bell is now on display in Rockton, ON.5
She died on 10 October 1882 at Troy, Beverly Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario, at age 81.6,7
Hannah's obituary in the Canada Christian Advocate read:
"Hannah Goodale was born in Glanford, near Hamilton, Jan. 4, 1801, she married James Jones on March 11, 1817, and sd with him on the farm in Beverly, near Troy, where she spent the rest of her life. She died Oct. 10, 1882, and was buried in Troy Cemetery; predeceased by her husband in 1860, also by one of her children, Sister Thomas Clement, who died last April; survived by 8 children."8
She was buried at Troy Cemetery, Beverly Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario. Her tombstone reads: "She was a tender Mother here / And in her life Our Lord did fear / We trust our loss will be her gain / and that with Christ she's gone to reign."7
Last Edited=4 Aug 2014
Children of Hannah Goodale and James Jones
- Mary Ann Jones+ (1818-1889)
- Elizabeth Jones+ (1820-1894)
- Susannah Jones+ (1822-1882)
- Julia Ann Jones+ (1823-1897)
- Andrew Johnson Jones+12 (1826-1893)
- Silvester Jones+ (1829-1907)
- Hannah Matilda Jones+12 (1831-1898)
- James William Jones+13,12 (1834-1899)
- Abel L Jones+ (1837-1906)
- Salina (Selena) Camp Jones14 (1842-1928)
- [S368] James Jones & Hannah Goodale Tombstone, Troy Cemetery, Troy, Beverly Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario; recorded/photographed by Faye West, 14 Apr 2002, "Aged 81 yrs 9 mos 6 days."
- [S413] Dalouie Dilling (e-mail address), PAF, "Family History for Dalouie Dilling" (http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jdill/pafg29.htm#599 : accessed 15 April 2006).
- [S366] Descendants of James Jones & Hannah Goodale, manuscript, compiled by Walter Scott Jones; revised by Harley A Misener, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta. Online: http://www.fayewest.ca/documents/jones_descendants.pdf
- [S170] Ralph Leeming, Register of Marriages and Baptisms in the Gore and London Districts by the Rev. Ralph Leeming, from 1816 to 1827 (1904; reprint Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Historical Society).
- [S369] Letter from Harley Misener (Brantford, ON) to Violet Broder, 6 Aug 1967; privately held by Faye West (Edmonton, Alberta). LET 001.
- [S1762] Hannah Jones, Death Registration 019372 (18 Oct 1882), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S368] James Jones & Hannah Goodale Tombstone, Troy Cemetery, Troy, Beverly Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario; recorded/photographed by Faye West, 14 Apr 2002.
- [S780] Donald A McKenzie, compiler, Obituaries from "The Canada Christian Advocate", 1873-1884 (Ottawa: McKenzie, 1998).
- [S663] Andrew J Jones, 1861 Census (Beverly, Wentworth County, Canada West), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S666] James William Jones, 1871 Census (Beverly, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S667] James William Jones, 1881 Census (Beverly, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S68] Troy Cemetery Transcriptions, online (http://www.interment.net/data/canada/ontario/wentworth/bev/… : accessed 30 May 2008).
- [S168] James William Jones, Death Certificate unknown number, Ontario Vital Records, Office of the Registrar General, Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- [S392] Clement & Misener & Jones Families, Notes of Elizabeth Nowell, 2005, File: Jones, general, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.