Violet Faye Jones
ID#  111, (1896-1988)
Violet Faye Jones was born on 13 March 1896 at Waterdown, East Flamboro Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario.1,2 She was the daughter of Amos Randall Jones and Mary Ann Misener.1,2 After her father's death, Violet Faye Jones lived with Mary Ann Misener at 381 Herkimer Street, Hamilton, Ontario.3,4 She received her high school entrance certificate at Hamilton, Ontario, in 1909.5 She and Mary Ann Misener moved to British Columbia in November 1912 and lived at 237 6th Ave, New Westminster.6 She was a stenographer/bookkeeper at McAllisters Dept Store, New Westminster, British Columbia, between 1913 and 1914. She began work at at Timberland Lumber, New Westminster, British Columbia, in 1915 where she was paid $60/month.3 She married Robert Roswell Broder, son of John Broder and Alice Mary Graves, on 18 April 1916 at her brother Emery's home, 239 6th Ave, New Westminster, British Columbia.7,8,9 She and Robert Roswell Broder lived at 128 Queen's Ave, New Westminster, British Columbia, between 1916 and 1918. On their first wedding anniversary, Robert was in Princeton, BC on a sales trip and wrote a letter to Violet. The letter does not mention their anniversary. She and Robert Roswell Broder lived at 31 Columbia Street, New Westminster, British Columbia, between 1918 and 1920. Violet worked with her husband and later with her son in the offices of their various canning companies between 1918 and 1976. She appeared on the 1921 Census of New Westminster, British Columbia, in the household of Robert Roswell Broder. She and Robert Roswell Broder lived at 40 Leopold Place, New Westminster, British Columbia, between 1921 and 1949. When the house was listed for sale in 1949 it was priced at $12,000.10 She was a citizen of the United States and Canada. Between 1949 and 1952 Violet Faye Jones and Robert Roswell Broder lived in a house on the grounds of Broder Canning, Lethbridge, Alberta. She and Robert Roswell Broder lived at 2929 Parkside Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta, after 1952. She lived with her daughter Marion at 3015 Parkside Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta, after 1960. About 1980 they moved to an acreage on the south side of Lethbridge where she lived for a few years before moving to a nursing home. She died on 12 September 1988 at Lethbridge, Alberta, at age 92.11 She was buried on 14 September 1988 at Mountain View Cemetery, Lethbridge, Alberta.11
Violet (Jones) Broder
Violet wrote a brief autobiography.
Last Edited=29 Oct 2013
Children of Violet Faye Jones and Robert Roswell Broder
- [S96] Violet Faye Jones, Birth Certificate 1896-M-82 (24 Mar 1896), Ontario Vital Records, Office of the Registrar General, Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- [S97] Birthday Book - belonged to Violet Jones, manuscript, c 1914, (individuals signed on their birthday page), privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S560] Interview with Violet Broder (Lethbridge, AB), by Faye West, Oct 1977.
- [S683] Mary Ann Jones, 1911 Census (Hamilton, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S469] Violet Jones, School Certificate, July 1909, Copy privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S513] Engagement announcement - Violet Jones: DOC 040, Copy privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S81] Robert Broder & Violet Jones, Marriage certificate 45650 (18 April 1916), BC Vital Statistics Agency, Victoria, British Columbia.
- [S82] Marriage announcement: Violet Jones & Robert Broder, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S410] Robert Broder & Violet Jones marriage, 18 April 1916, Copy privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta. MAR 011.
- [S514] A Lovely Home for Sale, unknown newspaper (probably the Daily Columbian), New Westminster, BC, 1949.
- [S1291] Broder, Lethbridge Herald, Lethbridge, AB, 15 Sep 1988, A4.
- [S678] Amos R Jones, 1901 Census (East Flamboro, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S172] Marion Violet Broder, Birth Certificate 22-B-25 Vol 496 (13 Jun 1925), BC Vital Statistics Agency, Victoria, British Columbia.