Alice Mary Graves
ID#  191, (1867-1948)
Alice Mary Graves was born on 20 January 1867 at Walnut Grove, Sacramento County, California.1,2,3 She was the daughter of Roswell Graves and Eugenia C Clapp.1,2,3 She married John Broder, son of Robert Broder and Margaret Cuffe, on 1 February 1887 at Alturas, Modoc County, California.4 She lived at College Place, Walla Walla County, Washington, in 1919.5 She lived at 2317 F St, Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington, between 1934 and 1936.6,7 She lived at 295 West 23 Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia, between 1938 and 1940.8 She lived at 3335 Ninth Ave West, Seattle, King County, Washington, between 1943 and 1948.9 She died of bronchiopneumonia on 21 February 1948 at Seattle, King County, Washington, at age 81.1,2 She was suffering from cardiac decompensation, arteriosclerosis, and blindness at the time of her death.2
Alice (Graves) Broder
Alice's obituary in the The Seattle Post Intelligencer on 22 February 1948 read:
"ALICE MARY BRODER: Seattle; 81, a resident of WA State for 58 yrs, died yesterday after a short illness. Born in Walnut Grove, CA, Mrs Broder moved to LaConner 58 yrs ago with her husband [late] John Broder - a cannery operator & merchant. From LaConner the couple moved to Friday Harbor & 27 yrs ago came to Seattle. She was a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Central Church. Survivng are 3 sons: John & Percy - Seattle & Rob't R - Lethbridge CAN; & a dau: Mrs Mabel Manery - Keremeos CAN. Services will be held Tues at Butterworths Chapel. Burial will be in Washelli Cem."
Obituaries also appeared in the North Pacific Union Gleaner of 20 Apr 1948, The Seattle Times of 23 Feb 1948, and The Seattle Times of 28 Feb 1948.10,11
She was buried on 24 February 1948 at Washelli Cemetery, Seattle, King County, Washington, in plot #5, Lot 531, Section A.L.1,2
NOTE: The Loyalists and Patriots part of this site contains information on Alice's ancestors. The James Broder part of this site contains information on her descendants.
Last Edited=20 Nov 2014
Children of Alice Mary Graves and John Broder
- [S121] Alice Broder, Funeral Card, 24 Feb 1948, file: Broder, John, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S122] Alice Broder, Death Certificate 2410(?) (24 Feb 1948), Washington Bureau of Vital Statistics, Olympia, Thurston County, Washington.
- [S15] Graves, Bertha May Graves Sealock's Bible (n.p.: n.pub., unknown publish date); unknown present owner, Photocopy in Faye West's file: DOC 027.
- [S117] John Broder & Alice Graves, Marriage license & certificate un-numbered (25 Feb 1887), Modoc County Recorder's Office, Alturas, Modoc County, California.
- [S273] Photo - snapshot, privately held by Faye West (Edmonton, Alberta).
- [S1775] Bellingham City Directory (Detroit, Michigan: R. L. Polk, 1934).
- [S1777] The Bellingham Herald, Bellingham, Washington, 15 Jul 1936, 6.
- [S83] Robert Roswell Broder, Statutory Declaration by Alice Broder, 11 July 1940, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S912] Letter from Percy Broder (Seattle, WA) to Violet Broder, 30 Sept 1944; privately held by Faye West (Edmonton, Alberta) LET 005.
- [S940] North Pacific Union Gleaner, 20 Apr 1948, on website Seventh Day Adventist Archives, online (http://www.adventistarchives.org/DocArchives.asp).
- [S1157] The Seattle Times, Feb 1948, on website GenealogyBank, online (http://www.genealogybank.com).
- [S446] Roswell Graves, 14 July 1870 U.S. Census, Contra Costa, California, HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S445] Roswell Graves, 14 Jun 1880 U.S. Census, Table Rock, Siskiyou, California, HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S443] John Broder, 1900 Federal Census (Skagit, Washington), HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S444] Alice Broder, 1910 Federal Census (Washington), HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S635] Alice Broder, 1920 Federal Census (Freewater, Umatilla, Oregon), HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S79] Robert Roswell Broder, Affidavit of Birth by Bertha May Graves Sealock, April 22, 1944, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S80] Robert Roswell Broder, Death Certificate 56-08-007547 (22 November 1956), Alberta Health & Social Development, Vital Statistics Division, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S124] Mabel Manery (obituary), The Penticton Herald, Penticton, BC, 26 Feb 1958, pg 3.
- [S7] Letter from Elaine King Willson (Coquitlam, BC) to Faye West, May 1978; privately held by Faye West (Edmonton, Alberta). File: Broder, general. Elaine received info from Mabel Hallberg Broder (for Harold) and from Sam Manery (for Mabel).
- [S581] Mabel Elizabeth Manery, Death Registration 58-09-003015 (27 Feb 1958), BC Vital Statistics Agency, Victoria, British Columbia.
- [S125] John Harold Broder, Funeral Card, 18 Mar 1971, file: Broder, general, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S126] Social Security Death Index, online (https://familysearch.org : accessed 2007-2014).
- [S911] Ancestry.com, online database, "California Death Index 1940-1997" (www.ancestry.ca : accessed 2010 - 2012).
- [S45] Barbara Hill, "Rev Graves Family," e-mail message from e-mail address (Berkeley, California) to Faye West, 9 Mar 2002.
- [S128] Percy Broder, Funeral Card, 20 Aug 1974, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.