Eugenia C Clapp
ID#  420, (1833-1912)
Eugenia C Clapp was commonly known as Jane. She was born on 27 September 1833 at Milford, Prince Edward County, Ontario.1,2 She was the daughter of Hiram Clapp and Rhoda Striker.3,1 She moved to Wisconsin at an early age.4 She married Roswell Graves, son of Roswell Graves and Mary Ann Betts, on 18 August 1857 at Wyocena, Columbia County, Wisconsin.5 She died on 10 April 1912 of myocarditis and chronic nephritis at Buckley, Pierce County, Washington, at age 78.3,1
Eugenia's obituary in the The Buckley Banner, Buckley, Washington, on 12 April 1912 read:
"Mrs. Jane C. Graves was born near Milton, Canada, Sept. 27, 1833. She died near Buckley, Wash., at the home of her daughter, Mrs. E.F. Ross, Apr. 10, 1912. Her parents moved to Wisconsin while she was quite young, and there she was married Aug. 18, 1857 to Rev. Roswell Graves who died in 1883. They crossed the plains in 1864, settling in Solano County, Calif. Seven children were born to them, six of whom are now living in this state."
She was buried on 13 April 1912 at Spokane, Spokane County, Washington.1
Last Edited=28 Mar 2013
Children of Eugenia C Clapp and Roswell Graves
- [S145] Jane C Graves, Death Certificate 174 (8 May 1912), Washington Bureau of Vital Statistics, Olympia, Thurston County, Washington.
- [S25] Lineage application of Bertha May Graves Sealock, #443473, DAR, (says Eugenia was born in Milton Lane. There is no such place in Ontario. There is a Milford in South Marysburgh Twp, Prince Edward County. Her father Hiram is known to have lived in South Marysburgh Twp. Another possibility is Milltown, Hastings County which is just 4 miles north of Prince Edward County).
- [S25] Lineage application of Bertha May Graves Sealock, #443473, DAR.
- [S458] Barbara Hill, "Re: Hiram Clapp & Rhoda Striker," e-mail message from e-mail address (Berkeley, California) to Faye West, 21 Mar 2007.
- [S138] Marriage certificate of Roswell Graves & Eujane Clapp, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S447] 1860 Federal Census (Wisconsin), HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S446] Roswell Graves, 14 July 1870 U.S. Census, Contra Costa, California, HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S445] Roswell Graves, 14 Jun 1880 U.S. Census, Table Rock, Siskiyou, California, HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S1234] Luther Ross household, 1900 U.S. Census, Butte, Silver Bow County, Montana, Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S1235] Luther Ross household, 1910 U.S. Census, Buckley, Pierce County, Washington, Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S146] Florence Eleanor Oldham, Delayed Birth Certificate (2 Feb 1944), California Vital Records, Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Sacramento, California.
- [S10] David Taft, Pedigree Resource File Disc 15., CD-ROM (Salt Lake City, UT: LDS Family History Library), Graves family.
- [S45] Barbara Hill, "Rev Graves Family," e-mail message from e-mail address (Berkeley, California) to Faye West, 9 Mar 2002.
- [S121] Alice Broder, Funeral Card, 24 Feb 1948, file: Broder, John, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S122] Alice Broder, Death Certificate 2410(?) (24 Feb 1948), Washington Bureau of Vital Statistics, Olympia, Thurston County, Washington.
- [S15] Graves, Bertha May Graves Sealock's Bible (n.p.: n.pub., unknown publish date); unknown present owner, Photocopy in Faye West's file: DOC 027.
- [S911] Ancestry.com, online database, "California Death Index 1940-1997" (www.ancestry.ca : accessed 2010 - 2012).