ID#  893, (c 1796-1857)
Hiram Clapp was born about April 1796 in New York.1,2 His daughterEugenia (Clapp) Graves' death certificate reports that he was born in Connecticut. This is probably an error - it is more likely that he was born in Canada or New York. He lived in Marysburgh Twp, Prince Edward County, Ontario.3 He married Rhoda Striker, daughter of Samson Striker and Ursula Clapp, about 1814. Did they marry in New York? According to Barbara Lee Woodard, Auntie Sealock said they eloped. Note that their children Joseph and Elizabeth claimed to have been born in New York on the 1860 Census of Wisconsin.1 He emigrated before 1851 from Ontario as he does not appear on the 1851 census of Canada. He died on 1 September 1857 in Marcellon, Columbia County, Wisconsin.1
Last Edited=30 Mar 2017
Children of Hiram Clapp and Rhoda Striker
- [S542] Barbara Hill, database report, 10 Jul 2003, Berkeley, California. FTM report "Descendants of Elias CLAPP."
- [S1347] Sarah Elizabeth Gibson, Death Registration 3820 (17 May 1900), Washington Digital Archives, http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov
- [S340] William D Reid, The Loyalists in Ontario (Lambertville, New Jersey: Hunterdon House, 1973), p. 313.
- [S559] Joseph Clapp, 1860 Federal Census (Wisconsin), HeritageQuest, http://heritagequestonline.com
- [S25] Lineage application of Bertha May Graves Sealock, #443473, DAR.
- [S145] Jane C Graves, Death Certificate 174 (8 May 1912), Washington Bureau of Vital Statistics, Olympia, Thurston County, Washington.