Mary Ann Misener
F, ID# 530, (1859-1945)
- Great-grandmother of Faye Louise Doyle
Mary Ann Misener was born on 15 April 1859 in Ancaster Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario.1 She was the daughter of John Misener and Mary Ann Steves.2 Mary Ann was originally named Goldie, probably after her father's sister; she was renamed Mary Ann after her mother died.3 She was raised by Rachel Kitchen and George Jones after 1871. George was the great-uncle of her future husband, Amos Jones.4 As a child, Mary Ann attended the Orkney School where her son Emery later taught to earn money for dental college.4 She married Amos Randall Jones, son of James William Jones and Minerva Jane Mulholland, on 1 July 1878 in Centenary Methodist Church, Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario.5 She and Amos Randall Jones lived on a farm near Copetown, Beverly Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario, from 1878 to abt 1890 after which they moved to Waterdown, East Flamboro Twp.6 She was left a widow when Amos Randall Jones died on 26 December 1905.7,8,9,6 After Amos' death, Mary Ann supported her family by dressmaking. A store in Dundas (Grafton Co ?) supplied pre-cut fabric which she sewed and returned to the store.6 She moved to her mother-in-law's home at 226 Robinson Street, Hamilton, Ontario, in spring 1906.6 She bought 381 Herkimer Street, Hamilton, Ontario, in 1907. Her son Emery built a house next door after his marriage.6,10 She and Violet Faye Jones moved to British Columbia in November 1912 and lived in 237 6th Ave, New Westminster.11 She continued dressmaking in New Westminster, retiring when her daughter Violet married.6 As of 1917, Mary Ann Misener lived at 128 Queen's Ave, New Westminster, British Columbia.12 She lived with Robert Roswell Broder and Violet Faye Jones between 1918 and 1920 in 31 Columbia Street, New Westminster, British Columbia. She lived with Violet Faye Jones and Robert Roswell Broder between 1922 and 1945 in 40 Leopold Place, New Westminster, British Columbia.13 She died on 23 July 1945 of myocarditis, toxemia in New Westminster, British Columbia, at age 86.2,14,15 She was buried in Troy Cemetery, Beverly Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario.14,9
Last Edited=21 Jan 2020
Children of Mary Ann Misener and Amos Randall Jones
- [S68] Troy Cemetery Transcriptions, online (http://www.interment.net/data/canada/ontario/wentworth/bev/…).
- [S165] Mary Ann Jones (obituary), The Daily Columbian, New Westminster, BC, 23 July 1945.
- [S166] Jones & Broder Families, notes of Violet Broder, c 1960, DOC 084 & 085, privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S516] Letter from Violet Broder (Lethbridge, AB) to Harley Misener, 10 Aug 1967; privately held by Faye West (Edmonton, Alberta). LET 002.
- [S162] Amos Jones & Mary Ann Misener, Marriage registration 012187 (1 July 1878), Archives of Ontario, Toronto, York County, Ontario.
- [S560] Interview with Violet Faye (Jones) Broder (Lethbridge, AB), by Faye West, Oct 1977.
- [S161] Amos Jones, Death Certificate unknown number, Ontario Vital Records, Office of the Registrar General, Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- [S408] Amos Randall Jones, Probate Records unknown file number, Wentworth County Surrogate Court, Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario, WIL 001.
- [S488] Amos & Mary Ann Jones Tombstone, Troy Cemetery, Troy, Beverly Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario; recorded/photographed by Faye West, 14 Apr 2002.
- [S683] Mary Ann Jones, 1911 Census (Hamilton, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S513] Engagement announcement - Violet Faye Jones, Copy privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S433] "Morley Jones Military Records", RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4950-53; Library & Archives Canada; Ottawa, Ontario.
- [S514] A Lovely Home for Sale, unknown newspaper (probably the Daily Columbian), New Westminster, BC, 1949.
- [S259] Mary Ann Jones, Funeral Home Record, Feb 1945, New Westminster Public Library, New Westminster, British Columbia.
- [S588] Mary Ann Jones, Death Registration 45-09-665345 (1945), BC Vital Statistics Agency, Victoria, British Columbia.
- [S425] John Misener, 1861 Census (Ancaster, Wentworth, Canada West), Pg 24, lines 26-36, Library & Archives Canada, Ottawa, Ontario.
- [S668] Amos R Jones, 1881 Census (Beverly, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S669] Amos R Jones, 1891 Census (East Flamboro, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S678] Amos R Jones, 1901 Census (East Flamboro, Wentworth County, Ontario), Ancestry, http://www.ancestry.ca
- [S578] Emery Jones, Death Registration 64-09-004901 (1964), BC Vital Statistics Agency, Victoria, British Columbia.
- [S2034] Lulu Maud Jones, Birth Registration 035827 (8 Jul 1881), Archives of Ontario, Toronto, York County, Ontario, MS929; Series: 52; Reel: MS929.
- [S97] Birthday Book - belonged to Violet Jones, manuscript, c 1914, (individuals signed on their birthday page), privately held by Faye West, Edmonton, Alberta.
- [S96] Violet Faye Jones, Birth Certificate 1896-M-82 (24 Mar 1896), Ontario Vital Records, Office of the Registrar General, Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- [S2047] Violet Faye Jones, Birth Registration 041079 (24 Mar 1896), Archives of Ontario, Toronto, York County, Ontario.